Install Linux for Flame

Hello!

I’ve always worked on Linux-based machines Flames in the company I work.
So now I am planning to install Flame on a Linux machine at home.
Do you guys think installing a Linux machine is too challenging for an ordinary guy like me?
Just forget about it and use a Mac instead?

Is there any step-by-step procedure about it here or on the Autodesk website?
I know I must download the Flame install, Rocky Linux, but what about DKU?

I remember a video from last year’s Logik lives where someone, maybe Will Harris, showed a Flame installed on a Linux laptop with a Linux flavor similar to Ubuntu with all the desktop features such as an app dock and so on. He said Autodesk plans to offer users a more easy Linux interface, or something like that. Is RockyLinux this kind of interface, or does the DKU still removes all of the interfaces features like the CentOs installs?
Thank you all!

1 Like

You are in luck. I’ve got about an hour long video that I did with Centos 8 build on a Lenovo P620.

It’s obsolete now because Centos 8 is end of life, but if you watch it you’ll see enough to see if it’s something you want to try with Rocky Linux.

logik_academy_linux_build.mov - Google Drive

6 Likes

Thank you!
… downloading …

1 Like

This is a wip and wasn’t finished so it might be a smidge rough. It doesn’t include framestore / raid build but that’s almost a custom part of this anyway. The good news is there are a few passionate Linux users here that are quite generous with their time. And with a lot of great Threadripper Pro builds floating around the need for Linux help is growing. We’ve kicked around the idea of doing a live Linux build but with all the variations it’s a bit of a challenge.

Thoughts? What would be helpful for you?

Between Randy’s video and the official Autodesk guide I did my first Linux install. It was challenging but fun! You’ll do great, and you have an amazing community here to help!

Thanks for the support, Andy. We definitely have an amazing community here!

Randy your video is amazing! A definitive reference. Thank you so much for sharing this gem!

2 Likes

I have good news: Flame is up and running here!
Have installed it following Randy’s video.
The only issue I had was dealing with network/internet.
Since I installed Rocky Linux on a generic non-certified machine, DKU was set for a generic profile, which has completely disabled the network config. So I asked for some help from the company’s IT to solve it.
Here’s the article he provided:

Also need help to configure VPN / RGS to have remote access to the company’s Flame.
Even so, the installation worked perfectly.

I encourage others to do this. It was easy and fun!
Have also installed Logik Central.

Thank you, Randy!

2 Likes

Very helpful video. I pieced most of this together.

A week ago I installed on a new system and it all went smooth in 2 hours and I was able to use Flame for a few days. Then I tried to install the DeckLink driver and it trashed the kernel beyond recovery.

So I was forced to re-do the whole process, but this time it keeps getting stuck and I’m not 100% why.

It’s a custom build, so not a certified config. I have no problem installing Rocky Linux 8.5 and getting everything downloaded. But after running the DKU and reboot it says it can’t start the autodesk_service to install the NVidia driver. It already has disabled the nuveau driver, so the system ends up stuck. Problem is definitely getting the NVidia driver on there properly. I may have to install it manually and tell DKU to leave the driver alone.

DKU is running of the generic config profile, which I haven’t edited yet. GPU is an NVidia A5000.

I have a vague memory that on the first go around I ran ‘yum install epel-release’ and a few things, which aren’t mentioned in the install instructions. Guessing that made the difference, but I have no notes of the details :frowning:

Anyone been stuck at the same place and found the answer? Spent 6hrs on the recovery from the botched Decklink driver so appreciate ideas.

Thanks,
Jan

Hello allklier!

Which version of Desktop Video have you installed?

(apologies for the double post, thought I had deleted it myself, now seeing that randy hid it. Ooops, bad manners on my part)

It was the latest from the BMD website, will have to look up, since I no longer have the file.

It got stuck in at the end while running the scriptlet. After forced reboot the OS was in bad shape, and I couldn’t get out of recovery mode as even the various filesystem modules weren’t loaded yet. So I gave up and re-installed from scratch. Though the newly downloaded DKU failed in installing the NVidia driver. I traced that down eventually to a compile error, complaining about a missing ‘state’ field in a struct. I saved the log file if it’s of use to anyone.

Eventually I got it all to work earlier today using information from other posts here to install the NVidia driver from the NVidia website and then using the DKU option to keep the driver. Had to make sure the custom driver install added the libgl.so (–install-libglvnd). That then finally worked.

This is a custom Puget Systems build with ASUS motherboard, i9-12K, A5000, UltraStudio 4K via TB, and Wacom. Working my way through the hardware.

Haven’t re-attempted the Decklink install as I want to image the disk first to speed up any needed recovery.

Appreciate this forum as it provided the clues to work through all this.

1 Like

@allklier…ah, i see what happened. The Forum mistakenly tagged your post as potential spam. Sometimes it does that. I’ve reinstated both posts. Let me know which one you want and which one you won’t and I’ll remove the extra reply. Thanks!
r

1 Like

I’ve installed Flame on a system with an old Nvidia card and am using it for both software and broadcast displays. The installation ran just fine!

1 Like

Sorry allklier to hear you had to run through many whoops when installing Flame and its components on your system.

Always make sure to follow the components version for Graphic cards drive and Blackmagic Design Desktop Video. I will discuss about these at the Logik Live event later Today.

2 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: PFTrack and Rocky Linux

Question about DKU and versions

I notice that 2023.1 has a new Dku with it. Do you have to uninstall the old Dku? Or does the new Dku overwrite the old one?

With new DKus. Can you still run older
Versions of flame?

Basically. How does the DKU work?

It overwrites, yes. The DKU is basically a bunch of system packages (i.e. kernel stuff, driver for exfat etc etc) and a custom nvidia driver.

In my experience you can run older versions of Flame, but I haven’t pushed this to the limit before so that might not be universally true.

1 Like