Uninformed, idiot artist-level superstition

A whole rack of devices were shut down by an unknowing runner at a previous facility, 15 years ago. The Onyx 300 Inferno I was running then, never fully recovered from the shock and would give me intermittent problems. The Tezro Flame on the adjacent rack also started having issues. I think that Flame was somehow psychologically injured by the hit the Onyx got.

What is your uninformed, idiot artist-level superstition? @hBomb42

2 Likes

Software gets wonky when a new release becomes available.

1 Like

Never say final version. Especially on a Friday afternoon.

9 Likes

Or announce “we’re in really good shape” or “we’re actually ahead of schedule” or similar. That’s just common sense!

7 Likes

“It’s never too late to screw it up.”

1 Like

Oh. I have one. I never use the number 4 in versions or wips.

2 Likes

“I’m sure it’ll be fixed in the next release.”

1 Like

In all seriousness I only export in foreground these days. You could all tell me it’s ten times faster and absolutely bulletproof and it wouldn’t matter.

10 Likes

It’s ten times faster and absolutely bulletproof.

3 Likes

Doesn’t matter.

1 Like

Figured.

1 Like

Agree. I’ve been (back)burned by not exporting in foreground a few times. Export in foreground is trustworthy.

1 Like

Hard commit before export is next level paranoia, though.

5 Likes

There are so many others. Never use the modular keyer because it leaks memory. Never switch projects from within flame and always quit and relaunch into the new one because one time it red-framed my coworker’s framestore. Don’t use the text module because it loses font assignments. Don’t trust the node dot caches. Etc etc etc

3 Likes

Don’t make any plans on days you’re working, and especially don’t make concert-going plans.

I purchased Motörhead tickets for three separate shows. I only made it to one of them and it’s because I took the whole day off.

I also had to leave a Children of Bodom concert before they came on, or I arrived after they played. I have a memory of the venue, no memory of the show.

8 Likes

That’s no superstition: that shit’s for real. I missed comps to Leonard Cohen at Madison Square Garden and backstage passes for the after party because I had to finish a commercial that was never going to air because it SUCKED and the agency got fired for it and they were contractually obligated to finish it.

4 Likes

Aside from that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?

1 Like

dont ever transfer a timeline with bfx comps (titles are legals are ok) via wire across the network to a new machine. always use an archive.

2 Likes

Same.

1 Like

Tim, I’m curious why? What goes wrong? Everything, and then more?